Focus Learning Trust work very hard to ensure only appropriate material is seen and used by students. However, there is always the possibility that some things become available that are not suitable. These simple steps and things to consider will help you remain safe and get all of the advantages of using the internet in your studies.
Top 10 Tips
NEVER . . .
- Never give your name or any details about yourself online
- Never attempt to use a memory stick or other portable device on a school computer. If you need to (and have permission) to use such a device it must be passed to reception and they will see if it is suitable to save or download from/to
- Never put anything on to a computer that you would not want your parents to see
- Never try to use a computer or any other internet ready equipment that is not the property of the schools
- Never use a computer that is logged in by someone else
IF . . .
- If you see anything on your screen that you feel is inappropriate – turn your screen off and tell a teacher immediately
- If you think other students are using the internet unsafely then report this to a teacher immediately
- If a site is not white listed, this is for a reason – never try to find a way around a safety feature on a computer. If you see or hear of others trying to do so, report this immediately
- If you see a computer that is unattended and still logged on – report it!
- Never share your password with anyone- even a very close friend. People don’t share their bank details with their friends- this is no different (remember your password – don’t write it down in your planner!)
REMEMBER IT IS UP TO YOU TO KEEP YOURSELF SAFE AND REPORT ANYTHING THAT YOU FEEL IS WRONG OR MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE WHILST YOU ARE ONLINE.